Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Halloween Luminaries

Happy Wednesday!  The project that I have to share today was a fun one for me.  Last year, close to Christmas, my sweetie suggested that I make holiday luminaries for our front porch and stairs.  It was so close to Christmas that I didn't bother going out to find bags, candles, etc.  This fall, I remembered talking to my sweetie about the luminaries and about how we could put them out for holidays other than Christmas as well.  So that's what I decided to do!  I haven't carved a pumpkin in a few years, and probably won't carve one until there are kids in the house to share the experience with.  I've decided that until then, Halloween luminaries can take the place of carved pumpkins at my house!  

These luminaries were VERY easy to make.  I found white luminary bags online, along with plastic bases that you fill with sand or water.  The bases even have a place to hold a tealight candle, which is perfect.  I found Halloween images and cut them out on black cardstock, then trimmed them to fit just inside the bags.  I used my Gypsy to hide the outer circle or square from the images I chose so that when the image was cut out, it would stay as a silhouette, connected to the sheet of cardstock.  Then I used a little clear tape to hold the cardstock flat and in place inside the bags.  Fill the base with water or sand, light your candle and you're all set.  Quick, easy and festive!

If you look close you can see the cutouts through the bags.



Of course if you light the candle and turn out the lights, you can see them even better!

Recipe:
White luminary bags
Black Recollections cardstock
Images from Pumpkin Carvings cut at 5 1/4 inches
Clear tape
Candles or lights

3 comments: