Monday, April 16, 2012

Birthday Cake

Happy Monday!  I hope you all had a great weekend.  We were lucky here and missed all the of the severe weather that they kept saying would be coming.

As some of you know, I got a Cricut Cake machine for Christmas and I've only used it once.  I definitely want to use it more, but I think it would be nice to know more about cake decorating first.  My friend Missy and I decided that the thing to do was take some cake decorating classes, so we signed up for the Wilton Course One - Decorating Basics.  We just had our second class last week and we had to ice and decorate a cake.  We learned piping gel transfers and dimensional decorating, and of course leveling the cake and icing it.  It's a learning process for sure but we're having fun!  I found out that my icing was a little too stiff, so I got some crumbs in my icing, but overall I was pretty pleased with how my first attempt at dimensional decorating turned out.

Hopefully Missy and I learn a lot in this class.  Our next adventure will be the Wilton Course Three - Gum Paste and Fondant.  We're excited for that class and hope to put our Cake machines to work with the knowledge we gain!

Oh, and if anyone has any helpful hints for cake decorating I'd love to hear them!!  :)



1 comment:

  1. Cute birthday cake! I don't know if I would be capable of doing this myself. I am greatly impressed.

    I want to also say thank you for visiting and following my blog today! I like your cards and so I'm returning the favor.

    Colin

    ReplyDelete