Friday, April 20, 2012

Birthday Explosion Card

Good evening!  This week sure went by fast!  We don't have too much planned for the weekend so far, but something tells me we will fill our time somehow and before I know it Monday will be here.  

Today is my sweetie's birthday and I wanted to make him a special card.  Have you seen the explosion boxes that some of the talented people out there have been making??  I've been seeing a bunch of them lately and I think they're so neat!  I did some searching and found some instructions HERE (scroll down about 6 entries in the forum for links to the PDF or Word document).  I modified my box slightly from these instructions, starting with a 9x9 square piece of cardstock for the base, scoring it at 3" and 6" along both sides.  For the lid, I used a 6.5"x6.5" square piece of cardstock, scoring it 1.5" in from each side.

I have seen some other exploding boxes that keep the entire square of paper in tact but couldn't find any instructions or tutorials.  If anyone can point me to some I would really appreciate it!!  Anyway, the possibilities are endless with these exploding boxes.  I've seen some exploding albums with 2 or 3 layers - how neat!!  I had fun with my explosion card and can't wait to try an album!

Thanks for coming by to check out my creation and I hope you have a fabulous weekend!

Top of the box.



The 4 sides of the box.


Inside the box (I left the center square open so I could write a birthday message to my sweetie).

Recipe:
Solid cardstock from Bazzill and Recollections
Patterned cardstock from The Paper Studio
Happy Birthday from Sweet Treats cut at 1.25 inches
Present from Sweet Treats cut at 1.5 inches
Party favor from Sweet Treats cut at 1 inch
Cupcake from Sweet Treats cut at 1.5 inches
Party hat from Sweet Treats cut at 1.5 inches
Golfer from Everyday Paper Dolls cut at 2.5 inches
Golf club and ball from Father's Day cut at 2 inches 
Green and flag from Everyday Paper Dolls cut at 2.5 inches
Golf bag and clubs from Everyday Paper Dolls cut at 3 inches
Twine from My Craft Spot
Glossy Accents
Black and white Sakura gel pens

No comments:

Post a Comment